Getting Ready for Hybrid Teaching
- Focusing on Facilitating Learning in Virtual Teaching and Learning
- One-page guide on “Setting Up the Classroom for Hybrid Learning and Teaching Mode” (Tai Po Campus)
- One-page guide on “Setting Up the Classroom for Hybrid Learning and Teaching Mode” (Tseung Kwan O Study Centre)
- User Guide
- FAQ in using Zoom for Online Teaching
- Using ZOOM in Hong Kong, Overseas and Mainland China
- More Tips
Tips for Academic/Teaching staff to deliver a successful online Zoom lesson
- Ask students to install Zoom in advance (one day or a few hours before the first online Zoom lesson) on their computers/mobile devices.
- Invite students to join the first online Zoom lesson 10 minutes before it officially begins to sort out connection and other logistics issues.
- Deliver the online Zoom lesson on a desktop computer for the full range of presentation functions and easier control.
- Use a standalone microphone attached to your computer or earphones with microphones for better audio quality.
- Invite students to use the Virtual Background when necessary.
- Ask all students to mute their microphones when they are not speaking.
- If you have enabled the “waiting room” function, do not forget to admit students who would like to re-join the lesson after an unintended disconnection.
- Video streaming within the Zoom application (using “Share Screen”) works fine when all students are in Hong Kong and with stable internet connection. For the best video quality experience, it is recommended that you select “Optimize for full-screen video clip” when you select the screen you want to share.
- Try not to rely only on the attendance report generated by the Zoom system. Consider alternative means, such as responding to a question in “Chat”.
- Do not turn off your computer right after the online Zoom lesson because the preparation of the recording on your local drive might take some time. In general, please save the recording of your lesson on your own computer rather than the cloud storage as the space there is limited.
- The attendance report will be generated about 30 minutes after the end of the online Zoom lesson. Do not expect that it will be available for downloading right away.
Virtual background feature
EdUHK Zoom Virtual Background Templates
The Communication Office has prepared 4 Zoom virtual background templates for use. EdUHK members are welcome to use it. These 4 templates are preloaded into the Zoom app. If you cannot find it or accidentally delete it, you can download it from the links below. (Note: Virtual background is not supported on Android devices.)
*Right click on the link and choose ‘Save link as…’
Coming Workshops on Online Teaching
- Workshop 1: Workshop on New Features of Zoom: Avatars, Whiteboards, …
- Workshop 2: Online Teaching and Learning via Zoom
- Workshop 3: Workshops to Familiarize Staff with Classroom Facilities for Hybrid/Blended Teaching and Learning
- Workshop 4: Teaching in the Metaverse Classroom Using Spatial
- Workshop 5: Creating Multi-player Virtual Tours for Teaching in VR-CAVE
- Workshop 6: Environment Design in the Metaverse using Spatial
Workshop on New Features of Zoom: Avatars, Whiteboards, …
With the recent release of Zoom version 5.10.4, some new features for more interactive online lessons are made available. This workshop aims at demonstrating the use of these new features including:
- using the new cross-platform Whiteboard for asynchronous and synchronous collaboration
- monitoring activities in Breakout Rooms
- advanced chat functions
- using a customized background in the immersive view for a unique sense of togetherness
- zoom with avatars
Online Teaching and Learning via Zoom
This workshop aims at providing new colleagues with try-out opportunities on creating online teaching sessions. We will discuss how to use Zoom for online class meeting (create a meeting session through Moodle, make online teaching more interactive) as well as key features of Zoom (Share PPT, Share File, Share Screen, Breakout Rooms, Record, Attendance Report).
Workshops to Familiarize Staff with Classroom Facilities for Hybrid/Blended Teaching and Learning
In hybrid teaching, some of our students will be attending the lessons in the classroom, and some will be joining us via Zoom online. This workshop aims at covering some pedagogical and technological topics on handling this mode of teaching, such as examples of how to plan for a 3-hour lesson, a demonstration of how to make use of equipment in classrooms to conduct hybrid teaching with Zoom, steps to video-record and upload recordings of your classes.
Teaching in the Metaverse Classroom Using Spatial
The Metaverse is a new and exciting digital universe where social interactions, entertainment, and business take place. It also provides great potential for enhancing educational experiences, improving student engagement and creativity, and making learning more interactive and fun. The workshop will demonstrate the followings:
- Introduction to Metaverse with an initial experience on the Spatial metaverse platform;
- Learn the basic operations and features in the Spatial Metaverse;
- Learn how to use the Spatial Metaverse to hold a virtual class;
- Using Metaverse as project exhibition spaces for education;
- Having a tour in fantasy metaverse spaces
Creating Multi-player Virtual Tours for Teaching in VR-CAVE
The Cave Automatic Virtual Environment (VR CAVE) at the EdUHK is the largest immersive VR environment in Hong Kong, providing 360-degree interactive projections and allowing multi-player interactions. Currently, some schools have established VR CAVE for providing learning activities in different subjects. Students and teachers are ready to use VR CAVE in education!
Using multi-player 360 virtual tours in teaching is a unique and fun way to engage and inspire students to learn by providing an immersive learning experience. You are cordially invited to attend the following workshop to learn how to create multi-player 360 virtual tour for teaching in VR CAVE. Details of the workshop are as follows:
- Visit VR CAVE
- Hands-on experience in 360 Designer
- Design and develop VR CAVE projects
Environment Design in the Metaverse using Spatial
The Metaverse is an exciting digital universe where social interactions, entertainment, and business occur. It also provides great potential for enhancing educational experiences, improving student engagement and creativity, and making learning more interactive and fun.
In this workshop, you can have an exciting experience in the Metaverse via the Spatial platform. You can learn the latest features on Spatial to interact with your students. You can also learn how to develop Metaverse spaces for students’ exhibition projects using multiple forms of virtual items in a 3D environment to present their creative designs and ideas. You can try using Meta Quest headsets to explore VR immersive experiences in Spatial after the workshop.
All EdUHK staff and staff who participated in the workshop “Teaching in the Metaverse Classroom Using Spatial” organised by LTTC are also welcome.