What is MOOC?
MOOC is a Massive Open Online Course.
A web-based e-Learning platform represent a new trend in higher education, providing top calibre courses to a global audience. EdUHK supports the development and implementation of MOOC to promote innovative online learning. Currently, two MOOCs have been developed as exemplars for professional development of all academic and teaching staff at EdUHK.
- Unlimited participation and open access via the web.
- Including video lectures, reading materials and task-based activities.
- MOOC provides “Big Data” for teachers to understand students’ learning habit and pattern.
We aim to meet the need for enriching primary and secondary teachers’ professional development related to e-learning in Hong Kong. Currently, three MOOCs have been developed as exemplars for professional development of all academic and teaching staff at EdUHK.
Workshop: Introduction to the use of Open edX
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) has been a trend of e-Learning Development and edX is one of the popular MOOC platform providers. With an objective to explore more possibilities of online learning, an open edX platform is hosted by LTTC and a few examples of online courses were uploaded on the platform. For a developed MOOC course, students are able to participate in a course via the web and teachers are able to interact with students. The workshop is intended to introduce using edX as a MOOC platform. Colleagues interested in MOOC course development are welcome to enroll the workshop.
The workshop is designed to address potential staff who would like to develop a MOOC course on Open edX or who are interested in creating an online course. By the end of the workshop, participants will get more familiarized with:
- Understand what Open edX is and running about a MOOC course
- Difference between Moodle and edX
- Workflow on working on EdUHK Open edX platform
- Experiment on a sandbox environment of Open edX
- More references for looking help from edX